Signed in as:
Edward J. Lutterloh completed the construction of his residence in 1870, which now houses the Cedar Key Historical Society Museum. MORE COMING SOON!
1873 - E.J. sued the town of Cedar Key. The city had plans to build a public market with live hogs and jail too close to his building.
1875- the case was presented to the Supreme Court of Florida. In a landmark ruling the court ruled in favor of Edward J. Lutterloh against the Mayor and Council of the Town Cedar Key regarding their obstruction on public highway rights-of-way. Furthermore, it was determined that the town had no more right to erect such an obstruction in the highway than any private citizen. The right of occupancy of the street by the public is a mere easement or right of passage.
The original part of the house was built on Atsena Otie in Cedar Key before the devastating 1896 hurricane and had a history of survival and perseverance. After the storm, it was salvaged by W. R. Hodges and floated on a barge across the channel to Way Key Island. This island was located near the big dock, cargo ship areas, train loading areas, and train station and was ideal for industrial use.
In 1910, Dr. Dan Andrews purchased the building and land to build the Standard Manufacturing Company, using the small building as an office and home. It also served other entities, including Western Union during WWII and Island City Investment Company, which raised funds to redeem delinquent city bonds during the Great Depression. Later, Dr. Dan started a family and added more rooms and a second-story addition to the building to make it a home. As his family grew, so did his business, and for over forty years, it provided Cedar Key with economic development and employment opportunities and carried many through the Great Depression. After years of success, the company closed permanently in 1952.
The building was vacant from 1984-1995 but still owned by the Andrews family. After years of deterioration, they donated it to the Cedar Key Historical Society, where it could be given new life as a premier showcase for ever-expanding museum exhibits. It was moved to the Historical Society property next to the Lutterloh Building and underwent extensive renovations, allowing it to be saved again.
A substantial grant from the State Division of Cultural Affairs of $500,000, plus additional community contributions of skills, time, and money, brought new life to this historic structure! MORE COMING SOON!
Founded by Dr. Dan Andrews in 1910, Standard Manufacturing Co.'s pioneering work in making brushes from sabal palm fiber breathed new life into Cedar Key's economy. His company's growth provided an economic boost for Cedar Key and employment opportunities for locals for over four decades - a source of pride still remembered today. To learn more about this history-making endeavor and hear first-hand accounts, watch the video by clicking below featuring Dr. John Andrews (Dr. Dan's son), born in the same house that inspired such an enterprise!
John Brooks Lutterloh was the son of Frederic Lutterloh and Angelette Brooks, both born in North Carolina. Frederic was the brother of E.J. Lutterloh making John a nephew of Edward Lutterloh (1824-1905)
He was a successful merchant. Both John and Edward served as mayors of Cedar Key in Levy County, FL, and they sometimes worked together on official town business and were prominent figures in the development of Cedar Key! Jhn Brooks Lutter
On May 2nd 1891, the Levy Times-Democrat reported John's horse kicked him in the head, fortunately his injuries were not fatal, the article referred to John Brooks Lutterloh as being Mayor. He passed away in 1934 at 76yrs while visiting family members in North Carolina but was returned for burial to his beloved Cedar Key.
Charles Buxton Rogers (1852 - 1926) was the son of John Rogers a prosperous plantation owner in N.C, and Joanna Lutterloh Rogers, sister of E.J. Lutterloh. John Rogers died as a confederate prisoner at Point Look Out Prisoner-of-War Camp in Maryland during the Civil War in 1864.
In 1869 Charles, at 17 yrs, moved to Cedar Key, where his Uncle E.J. Lutterloh was living, to work as a clerk in the Florida Railroad Company. He opened a general mercantile business in Cedar Key in 1872.
This site copyright @2022 The Cedar Key Historical Society Inc. Website Developed and Maintained By -Anna White Hodges- Executive Director
Website Developer Anna White Hodges